Monday, July 11, 2011

Spumoni Cake

Spumoni has to be one of my favorite flavor combinations -cherries, chocolate and pistachios, it doesn't get much better than that.  And can I just say how delicious this cake was? It was delicious and yes, I made this cake in a bread pan. Why? I'm not sure...an attempt at creativity? Well, spumoni cake was still a success, despite it's loaf-like appearance.   
Of coarse, you can also do something like this (below) if your looking for a more traditional looking cake.
 Mmmm..layers of cherry and pistachio butter cream frosting. You can't go wrong with that.
For the cake I used an easy fudge cake recipe with a few variations.  Instead of adding hot water to the batter I added hot maraschino cherry juice.  I also added 1/2 cup of  roughly chopped maraschino cherries.  For the frosting filling I made a swiss meringue buttercream frosting.  I halved the recipe and added 2/3 cup of finely chopped pistachios and two tablespoons of chopped maraschino cherries to the frosting. Garnish the cake with cherries and crushed pistachios and you've got one delicious spumoni cake!