Monday, August 29, 2011

mmm...Tabouli

Tabouli...oh the memories.  When I was little my dad used to take my siblings and I swimming almost every day.  After swimming we would go to the cafeteria and get pita bread pizzas and tabouli.  Needless to say, I love tabouli. It is a light, refreshing and delicious salad.  And for me, it's comfort food.  I couldn't find a recipe online that quite matches my families recipe.  I'm not really sure where we got the recipe, probably some friend in Arabia.  I just know that for as long as I can remember my family has gathered together in the kitchen around numerous cutting boards to make tabouli.  We would spend hours chopping and chatting as we chopped, we were always exhausted by the end, but the first bite of tabouli made it all worth it.  Now, with my food processor it is a less daunting task, but I have to say I do miss those family tabouli gatherings.  
I looked online and found a recipe that is a good place to start.  To this recipe, I add one bunch of chopped cilantro, one or two finely chopped cucumbers, a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin and coriander, and a teaspoon of sumac (optional, but highly recommended).  I also use about 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil, not 1/2  a cup and I usually use 2 or 3 tomatoes, not one. 
Give tabouli a try, it is well worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment